First impressions: NAD T778

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just received my new T778 this morning and spent the past 2 hours setting it up and testing.

Firstly, a massive thank you to Morne, who fielded my numerous queries and phone call to discuss the issues with this model. Having read about the many issues from owners, I knew what I was getting into, but I am happy taking the risk to get that NAD sound. So I ordered a unit from him, and he even made sure of the build date (May 2021).

Unboxing was quick and painless - Morne did a whole video on this, so I won't elaborate: https://youtu.be/8JmyP6euvaI.

Setup was quick, but I don't like the speaker terminals being at the bottom, because it means that I can't push the unit all the way back in my stand. All connections were quick and easy, except for the supplied 2-pin power cable, which just refused to go into the socket. Found a 3-pin kettle cord with the same rating in my box of cables, and off we went.

First I ran the software update, and minor snag when the unit rebooted in Polish or Czech. Sorted that out with the help of Google Translate, and then I started the setup. Being familiar with the NAD system, this was quick.

Queued up my test playlist, and as expected, the quality of the sound is just amazing. I don't think the sound is better than the T777v3, but it certainly is punchier, which is surprising considering this model is almost half the size and weight.

Loving the screen, as it shows cover art and metadata, negating the need for the TV to be on. This screen is so easy to use that having the unit at the bottom of my stand now makes no sense, as it should rather be on top to make it easy to use.

Initially my BluOs app wouldn't find the unit, which was weird, since the unofficial NAD remote app found it fine. A quick data and cache clear, and the app found it, and playback started.

Much like the T777v3, this unit runs very cool, the cooler only went up to 27C. No fan noise that I can pick up.

I must still run Dirac, but that needs to wait until tomorrow when the Mrs is at the optometrist.

I will keep this thread running with further observations, and hopefully, no issues to report.

Questions/comments/suggestions welcome [emoji846]
10f644f211e4983df10b6012ae9127ee.jpg
243f1c72684db9e0292fe392166e7a8d.jpg
b5864a660fe4cc952a4c84426300b43d.jpg
7e8a2e2364f123828e9c6c3aa9c0de3b.jpg

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

XL1000

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Setup was quick, but I don't like the speaker terminals being at the bottom, because it means that I can't push the unit all the way back in my stand.
Modify the stand?

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
XL1000 said:
Modify the stand?

Yeah, a possibility. But finding a good carpenter around here is missions.

One other option I'm considering (to make full use of the touchscreen) is to put the TV on the wall and have the T778 on the top of the stand.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I use YouTube, Netflix, & Amazon Prime apps on my TV, and the sound is sent to the AVR via HDMI ARC.

I'm finding that YouTube's volume is about 10dB more than that of Netflix and AmazonPrime, any way to 'normalise' the sound input from my TV?

Jukkelstukkel

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Rule of thumb is that ANY piece of new equipment requires a playing in/running time of up to 100+ hours and more to start sounding close to its real potential. So keep the T778 running on BluOs Radio Paradise MQA. On BluOs it is free access to MQA software and it sounds great.

Let us know what it sounds like in a week or two... Maybe it does sweep the previous T777V3 you had, which remember was already played in when you received it after being a demo unit, under the carpet? And the competition as well...

"Moon Audio recommends giving headphones 300 hours to break-in both mechanically and electrically. Although most of the break in process occurs within the first 100 hours, this allows time for the drivers to open up and gives you the best experience""

https://hometheaterhifi.com/editorial/hi-fi-audio-component-break-in-burn-in-fact-or-fiction/ For as long as I can remember, I have read that audio components, including amplifiers, speakers, and cables, require a break-in (burn-in) period to sound their best. ... One is that more manufacturers are stressing that their products need a break-in period to sound their best.""

kamikazi

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
It looks neat, congrats on the new AVR  :thumbs:
Just check with stacking equipment on top of that unit. As far as I know the T778 already requires a fan to keep its thermals in check when free standing, so stacking equipment on top of might not be best Never mind see that is a fan unit you stacked on it, so scratch what I said.

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
kamikazi said:
It looks neat, congrats on the new AVR  :thumbs:
Just check with stacking equipment on top of that unit. As far as I know the T778 already requires a fan to keep its thermals in check when free standing, so stacking equipment on top of might not be best Never mind see that is a fan unit you stacked on it, so scratch what I said.

Not necessarily, in which direction does the fan operate - by it's positioning it looks like it may be an exhaust fan? In which case the AC Infinity would be working against the proper cooling of the unit.

Trompie67

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jukkelstukkel said:
Rule of thumb is that ANY piece of new equipment requires a playing in/running time of up to 100+ hours and more to start sounding close to its real potential. So keep the T778 running on BluOs Radio Paradise MQA. On BluOs it is free access to MQA software and it sounds great.

Let us know what it sounds like in a week or two... Maybe it does sweep the previous T777V3 you had, which remember was already played in when you received it after being a demo unit, under the carpet? And the competition as well...

"Moon Audio recommends giving headphones 300 hours to break-in both mechanically and electrically. Although most of the break in process occurs within the first 100 hours, this allows time for the drivers to open up and gives you the best experience""

https://hometheaterhifi.com/editorial/hi-fi-audio-component-break-in-burn-in-fact-or-fiction/ For as long as I can remember, I have read that audio components, including amplifiers, speakers, and cables, require a break-in (burn-in) period to sound their best. ... One is that more manufacturers are stressing that their products need a break-in period to sound their best.""

Which manufacturers would those be?

As far as I'm concerned all that the "break-in period" does is allow your own ears & perceptions to become accustomed to the sound signature of the new item you've just purchased... plus, after so many "break-in" hours the "return for a full refund" period is long past....  :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Also - So a demo of a new item is a complete & utter waste of time? You may like how it sounds now, so purchase it, but then no longer like it in 100? 200? 300? hours time? Then what? You're fkd. Too late to return it?

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
KenMasters said:
Not necessarily, in which direction does the fan operate - by it's positioning it looks like it may be an exhaust fan? In which case the AC Infinity would be working against the proper cooling of the unit.
The AC Infinity draws air from the bottom and vents it in front.

Could you please explain what you mean by 'working against the proper cooling'?

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
naks said:
The AC Infinity draws air from the bottom and vents it in front.

Could you please explain what you mean by 'working against the proper cooling'?

I mean if the fan at the back is an exhaust fan i.e. pulling air in from the top, then the AC Infinity would be working against it.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
KenMasters said:
I mean if the fan at the back is an exhaust fan i.e. pulling air in from the top, the the AC Infinity would be working against it.
Ah, right.

The unit also has side vents.

Should I just take the AC Infinity off then?

jlaubza

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Trompie67 said:
Which manufacturers would those be?

As far as I'm concerned all that the "break-in period" does is allow your own ears & perceptions to become accustomed to the sound signature of the new item you've just purchased... plus, after so many "break-in" hours the "return for a full refund" period is long past....  :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Also - So a demo of a new item is a complete & utter waste of time? You may like how it sounds now, so purchase it, but then no longer like it in 100? 200? 300? hours time? Then what? You're fkd. Too late to return it?
I think many experienced listeners are likely to disagree with your perception. Reputable dealers seem to run their demo equipment in before demoing to potential buyers. I also have first hand experience of the need to run in (breaking in is the wrong term) equipment such as loudspeakers before the sound output settles to a constant signature. This is done not by listening all the time but by running a constant music source through the speakers, 24/7 and checking from time to time on the sound signature until it has stabilised. This should make intuitive sense as speakers and earphones have physical suspension components that need to be flexed.

Amplifiers though in my experience need to warm up more than be run in. I think there is an argument that electrolytic capacitors develop memories, or something like that, but I cant see how a transistor that has been used for 100 hours will have a different sound from one that has been used for one hour.

Trompie67

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
^^^ but how would you know when it has "stabilised"? Do you measure?

or do you just think / assume?

Do the manufacturers not check their products extensively before selling?

It's daft. Why would a manufacturer release a product that only sounds good after "X" number of hours? Or is it actually your hearing becoming accustomed after "X" number of hours?

I've had items on demo from dealers in sealed boxes. Never once been told "Keep this playing 24/7 for however many hours days for it to sound it's best". It is confirmation bias. Ever notice how equipment only ever sounds better after "X" number of hours?  :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Never worse....

Anyhow, as always YMMV. I call hogwash & confirmation bias / becoming accustomed to the sound signature.

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
naks said:
Ah, right.

If it is drawing air from the top and venting it out the back, most definitely.

goldfritter

AVForums Member
Reaction score
naks said:
Ah, right.

You mentioned the unit's temperature earlier, so I am assuming there is a straightforward way to measure it - try compare temps with it on and with it off?

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Ran Dirac earlier, and not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but the NAD curve made the sound flat and subdued.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
naks said:
Ran Dirac earlier, and not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but the NAD curve made the sound flat and subdued.

Ok, this was during a movie.

I just queued up my test playlist in 2.0 setup, and OMFG, the Dirac correction is mind-blowingly good 😳

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I'm also finding that MQA/more recent Tidal tracks are really affected by the Dirac correction, but older songs are not.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
A sample of the Dirac correction (sub) vs measurements.

247881860_10161261177669097_6289037581741927404_n.jpg

I then forked out the $99 for the Full Dirac version, and that was even more impressive once the full range had been corrected.  :thumbs: