Bluesound Powernode - BlueOS and Surround Sound.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Willemse

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I have long been a fan of BlueOS. It’s simple and does everything it’s supposed to. Integrate the platform into a small footprint digital amplifier such as the last generation Powernode, and you have a potent little solution that will suit most people needs.

Scratch that. It will surpass the expectations of most by miles.

I’ve had one running on a stereo setup for quite a while now, incorporating a TV via HDMI and a Turntable, drivng a pair of KEF LS50 Meta’s complimented by a KEF KF92 sub. This little system is one of my all-time favourites, even up against some of the monsters I’ve enjoyed ownership of in the past.

C9CDA307-10BE-4E94-8A58-DC4D5A2069AF.jpeg

The system being in a living room area and frequently used for movies, series and gaming, we thought it might be nice to once again go into the realm of surround sound, simply with a set of rear surround speakers.

BlueOS offer this option to users of its products by means of adding a pair of rear speakers known as the “Pulse” range. They are self powered units that integrate into the WiFi network like all Bluesound products. All one has to do is simply “group” the pair of speakers as a surround zone to the system you wish to assign them. Set the distances and match the volume of each channel to the front end, and you’re done. Instant Dolby 4.1.

In this example I added a pair of Pulse M speakers as rears. Neat little units with the familiar glass proximity panel on top that was introduced in the last generation Powernode. Once integrated, these controls are synchronised with the main unit, acting as an extended control panel for the entire system.

F2C6A75E-5FC8-4902-868F-79F2F7748CED.jpeg

689C6134-7882-4BE4-A8D9-1E885B262445.jpeg

Setup was a breeze… until Eskom cut the power whilst I was doing the software update on one of them. A quick call with Schalk at Cinema Architects and all was sorted. Absolutely FANTASTIC service from them and Morne from Home Cinema King, as always.

I couldn’t find a set of stands to suit, so decided to manufacture my own. A pair steel white table legs from Leroy Merlin. Neatly drilled to accommodate the wiring, some Sikaflex to the floor and bolting through directly into the speakers own threaded base… fill with sand and boom! Looks factory and cost a fraction of other less worthy looking stands.

DAECBAF5-9CBC-4968-8AB8-E35233782809.jpeg

7B191DCD-97E5-48D8-AC24-BA04BFC8B026.jpeg

DB363357-2FBE-4293-8721-6DEAE18EAA7E.jpeg

Connected and configured, spent the weekend playing games, watching movies and series, going through as much material as I could with the kids and listening for any issues or anything lacking. It simply doesn’t, and I can only say that I am highly impressed with how well this all works.

Having done my fair share of HT at a very high level, I cannot fault it. More than happy with the outcome and highly recommend to anyone wanting to add uncomplicated HT surround sound to their current Powernode!

96203749-2EC2-4ACF-B3B5-2251CC9C9265.jpeg