My first venture into solar: advice needed

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingeth

AVForums Member
Reaction score
So I decided to pull the plug and go the Gosolr route to put an end to load shedding without a massive capital outlay. The reason I decided to go the rental route was because I’m not entirely sure that I’ll still be in my current place within the next 3-4 years, so don’t want to invest right now on that scale, and this sounded like a good “trial” with little hassle.

Anyways, so I’ve gone for the medium installation with 2 extra panels (10 in total) with a 5kw Deye inverter and 5.5kwh Hubble battery. The wait once registering my interest was 3 months, although installation took less than a day. Installation team did a really neat job I have to say.

Anyways, the system has been up since Tuesday evening, so I’ve had about 3,5 days with the system and no issues I can pickup, runs flawlessly and we really don’t notice when loadshedding kicks in at all, which is awesome. Kids are over the moon that their tv time doesn’t end abruptly, and the wife can still use the air fryer and microwave when loadshedding hits (although I have cautioned her to not use appliances simultaneously such as the air fryer and kettle etc. so as not to trip the inverter during bouts of loadshedding)

So far, my average daily usage has gone down from around 24-25kwh per day to 12,5-13,5kwh. That’s about half of what I’ve been using previously which is nice.

Looking at the consumption graph on the app, I do notice a spike of around 3kw every 3 hours, which I’m assuming is the electric geyser switching on and off all the time. My understanding is that the geyser is independent of the solar inverter system so the total units spent on water heating will always be there as an “overhead”.

I’d like to get my grid consumption down even lower if possible, so was looking for some advice from those more knowledgable than I.

Would fitting a geyser timer make any difference or not really?

should I rather get a solar geyser fitted to make a noticeable difference?

Is there another solution that can draw on the existing installation that can also achieve cost savings without overloading the inverter?

For what it’s worth we are 2 adults and 2 kids in the house. I will have an early morning shower before work and the rest of the household will usually shower at night. So I’m sure we would be able to program something that works in terms of on/off times for the geyser.

Thanks in advance

Latest posts