First impressions: NAD T778

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just received my new T778 this morning and spent the past 2 hours setting it up and testing.

Firstly, a massive thank you to Morne, who fielded my numerous queries and phone call to discuss the issues with this model. Having read about the many issues from owners, I knew what I was getting into, but I am happy taking the risk to get that NAD sound. So I ordered a unit from him, and he even made sure of the build date (May 2021).

Unboxing was quick and painless - Morne did a whole video on this, so I won't elaborate: https://youtu.be/8JmyP6euvaI.

Setup was quick, but I don't like the speaker terminals being at the bottom, because it means that I can't push the unit all the way back in my stand. All connections were quick and easy, except for the supplied 2-pin power cable, which just refused to go into the socket. Found a 3-pin kettle cord with the same rating in my box of cables, and off we went.

First I ran the software update, and minor snag when the unit rebooted in Polish or Czech. Sorted that out with the help of Google Translate, and then I started the setup. Being familiar with the NAD system, this was quick.

Queued up my test playlist, and as expected, the quality of the sound is just amazing. I don't think the sound is better than the T777v3, but it certainly is punchier, which is surprising considering this model is almost half the size and weight.

Loving the screen, as it shows cover art and metadata, negating the need for the TV to be on. This screen is so easy to use that having the unit at the bottom of my stand now makes no sense, as it should rather be on top to make it easy to use.

Initially my BluOs app wouldn't find the unit, which was weird, since the unofficial NAD remote app found it fine. A quick data and cache clear, and the app found it, and playback started.

Much like the T777v3, this unit runs very cool, the cooler only went up to 27C. No fan noise that I can pick up.

I must still run Dirac, but that needs to wait until tomorrow when the Mrs is at the optometrist.

I will keep this thread running with further observations, and hopefully, no issues to report.

Questions/comments/suggestions welcome [emoji846]
10f644f211e4983df10b6012ae9127ee.jpg
243f1c72684db9e0292fe392166e7a8d.jpg
b5864a660fe4cc952a4c84426300b43d.jpg
7e8a2e2364f123828e9c6c3aa9c0de3b.jpg

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk