First impressions: NAD T778

Larry

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
This started as a first impressions thread, sadly my lasting impression is?.

cb63b00875f7e87b951deb37ebbc3202.jpg

I really hope you come right here and find a solution.

Drifter

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
naks said:
No, the multichannel playback is set to Direct mode.

Switching the playback to Stereo (whether DSD or CD) works fine, and the upmixing works fine as well.

What I'm seeing is that something in that specific SACD is causing the surround amp to freeze, and unplugging/replugging the speaker terminals seems to reset them.

I don't have this issue when playing multichannel DSD files from my PC

That is indeed extremely weird.
Must be some or other software bug where it is unfamiliar with the audio stream.

If you put the AVR in Direct Mode, what decoding does it default to once it gets the multichannel stream? Dolby Digital?

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Drifter said:
That is indeed extremely weird.
Must be some or other software bug where it is unfamiliar with the audio stream.
If you put the AVR in Direct Mode, what decoding does it default to once it gets the multichannel stream? Dolby Digital?

No, it just sees PCM 5.1, because that's what the Oppo ouputs.

FML, so now it's doing it on all inputs & source material.  :walled:

For example, DSTV is set to output Stereo, which I then upmix to Dolby Surround. It starts off fine, and then loses the surround sound a few seconds in.

I've done a hard reset, but that didn't resolve the issue.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
[member=2808]BiZKiT[/member] says there was a batch of T778s with problematic amp modules, so looks like mine is part of the batch.

It needs to go back for new amp modules  :wallbreak:

Drifter

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
naks said:
[member=2808]BiZKiT[/member] says there was a batch of T778s with problematic amp modules, so looks like mine is part of the batch.

It needs to go back for new amp modules  :wallbreak:

Yeah I think pretty much what mine did. Just on all channels.
Mine was one of the first to be made. Yours should be a very very much later model.

Get a Denon .....

PS. When you get it back and it is "fixed", don't let us know as I will just jinx it again.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Drifter said:
Yeah I think pretty much what mine did. Just on all channels.
Mine was one of the first to be made. Yours should be a very very much later model.

Well, AV Imports seem very confident that they can repair it, seems pretty straightforward.

Get a Denon .....
boet, I drive Land Rovers. As the saying goes, I'd rather push my Landy than drive Jap crap  :flame:

PS. When you get it back and it is "fixed", don't let us know as I will just jinx it again.
:BWAHAHAH:

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
boet, I drive Land Rovers. As the saying goes, I'd rather push my Landy than drive Jap crap  :flame:

Sadly, I'll have to reduce your post count to zero for your blasphemous comments...

F-D-Banner.jpg

-F_D
(and my flock of Toys...)

Yossarian

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Haha well the nad makes a lovely bookshelf art. After this thread not sure will ever leave denon 😁

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
^^^  :BWAHAHAH:  :BWAHAHAH:  :BWAHAHAH:

Guess they know where reliability lies!

-F_D

adie

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Landys, NAD. Care to share any other brands that you subscribe to- so I know what to avoid? :sh1tstirrer:
I prefer plug and play any day.

My ex has 3 Landys (used to be 5). Defenders are dogs. Period. Wonderful in the rough though. Even my friend who HAD to have a Defender (Melvill and Moon) wished he had options.
The times I've sat waiting on roadsides for the Gomma Gomma of 4x4s (Disco 4) to come out of 'restricted performance'.... Superb vehicle otherwise, especially with aftermarket suspension and massive BF Goodrichs. Redoing turbos?  :faint:

Really sorry about your NAD woes though.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
One of the side effects of troubleshooting this issue is that I found a setting on the Oppo UDP-203 which, for some reason, affects the SACD stereo bitrate output.

While testing the SACD, the T778 just would not see stereo HiRes - it only saw 44.1.

So I went through all the Oppo settings and saw this one in Audio Processing called DTS Neo:6 Mode, which was set to Cinema. On a whim, I switched it to OFF, and the stereo bitrate changed from 44.1 to 88.2!

Not sure why this setting would affect SACD stereo playback, but learnt something new about the 203  :roll:

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
AVR just arrived back, a few minutes after I had the TV mounted on the wall - I wanted the T778 to be up top where the LCD could be more of a feature.

Surround channels are back  :thumbs:

I must still tidy up the now empty bottom shelf - maybe I'll put some Lego there, just to mask the void.

20220318-094837.jpg

20220318-095742.jpg

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Yossarian said:
maybe keep your warranty cards there looks like they need to be in close reach :)
Funny guy.

But keep your day job [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

BiZKiT

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
naks said:
AVR just arrived back, a few minutes after I had the TV mounted on the wall - I wanted the T778 to be up top where the LCD could be more of a feature.

Surround channels are back  :thumbs:

I must still tidy up the now empty bottom shelf - maybe I'll put some Lego there, just to mask the void.

20220318-094837.jpg

20220318-095742.jpg

That for me is what is important. Some brands have more issues then other but it needs to be sorted out quick :mates:

Drifter

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
naks said:

I like the AVR on top.
That looks really good.

What about getting two funky bookends and putting your DVD's / BluRay's between them on that bottom shelf.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Drifter said:
I like the AVR on top.
That looks really good.
What about getting two funky bookends and putting your DVD's / BluRay's between them on that bottom shelf.

Thanks, I think it does too. Wifey is not so convinced.

I was thinking of moving the Blurays there, will try it out.  :thumbs: