First Watt

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agaton Sax

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure when you grew up, your parents had a washing machine, lawn mower, and car that seemed to be as old as the mountains. "Ja" your dad would sigh " "They sure don't make things the way they used to. That Easy washing machine is now 18 years old" This as the ugly red and white thing danced across the kitchen floor in "Spin " mode, nearly knocking the earth off its axis. We have been married 27 years and still have the noisy deep freeze given to us at our wedding. Even the donor is dead but despite all our wishes the noisy, Swazi-made thing just goes."Things were better in the old days", you sigh as you realise you have turned into your father.

The power supply capacitors are likely to last about 15 years or so, and while they will slowly dry out just sitting there, they will have a shorter life span with the amplifier running constantly

This comes from the First Watt manual. My amps were built by Nelson Pass himself on his kitchen table for me. But they are now approaching 18 years. they are straight hooked up to irreplaceable drivers. No matter what one wishes to spend, they are not available. If the amp goes they go. Remember, I am now my father. I like my things, I don't want new things. What am I going to do? Replace all the parts because these things run hot, more than 50C. But then Mr. Pass's footsteps are in there no more.F3s are no more. Unlike many others, I actually need low output amps with a low damping factor. Maybe there is better out there? Miniscule output single-ended Class A Fets? Really?

Latest posts