First impressions: NAD T778

kamikazi

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
How is the dialogue on your system? The dispersion pattern between your L-C-R speakers will likely be impacted by that positioning and seeing how close the speakers are together?
I'd try to get the tweeters at the same height at least, so you have a more even sound dispersal on the front stage. Have you tried going without a centre channel in that space and seeing what it sounds like with a phantom centre?

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
kamikazi said:
How is the dialogue on your system? The dispersion pattern between your L-C-R speakers will likely be impacted by that positioning and seeing how close the speakers are together?
I'd try to get the tweeters at the same height at least, so you have a more even sound dispersal on the front stage. Have you tried going without a centre channel in that space and seeing what it sounds like with a phantom centre?

Sounds fine to me, but then I'm no expert  :groovy:

I've tried without a Centre (by switching it off in the T778), but it just sounds weird.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Now that my T778 is on top of the stand and doesn't have the Infinity cooler anymore, I am seeing temperatures ranging from 53C to 58C - is that normal?

When I had the cooler on, I rarely saw temps over 49C.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

pwatts

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
naks said:
Now that my T778 is on top of the stand and doesn't have the Infinity cooler anymore, I am seeing temperatures ranging from 53C to 58C - is that normal?

When I had the cooler on, I rarely saw temps over 49C.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Depending on what part of the item gets so hot (chassis, heatsink or a specific component) I will not be comfortable with those temperatures. Nothing will break but capacitor lifespan is sure to be impaired.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
pwatts said:
Depending on what part of the item gets so hot (chassis, heatsink or a specific component) I will not be comfortable with those temperatures. Nothing will break but capacitor lifespan is sure to be impaired.

Hmm, perhaps I should keep the Infinity cooler then...

Huge favour to ask: if anyone has 5 mins to spare, could you please install DiracLive and see if it connects to its online services when you run it?

https://artifacts.connect.dirac.com/public/accord/release/win64/diraclive-v3.2.3-setup.exe

Thanks

Drifter

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep the Infinity cooler.

As I mentioned in your for sale thread for the Infinity cooler, I foolishly sold mine, took a loss on the sale and had to re-import another one at full cost not long after. You will always find a use for it.

naks

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
So, this is an interesting one...

About 2 months ago we had a solar system installed: Victron inverter, 14kWh battery, 12 panels, the works. Everything was 100% until loadshedding started, and then the Earth Leakage started tripping when Eskom went off & on.

Installers came and verified the DB, nothing wrong there, but still the trips continued. Switching Eskom off & on manually has no effect, so very hard to replicate the issue.

Until yesterday, when I was trying to troubleshoot a network issue, and powered on my AV setup and the EL tripped: it is my AVR  :nfi:

I unplugged the TV, no trip. Ditto for the Oppo. Trips on AVR

Switched out the Ellies Surge multiplug, plug in the TV, no trip. Ditto for the Oppo. Trips on AVR

But now I can't replicate it, and when Eskom came back on the Earth did not trip, so now I'm lost again  :wallbreak: