Your experience importing

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reactor_sa

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Gents and lady, as the topic states, what is your experience with importing nice goodies from beyond local shores?

I purchased an emotiva XPA-5 2 weeks ago and considering the shipping set me back a lunch shy of 500USD, its not been smooth sailing.
Emotiva service has been very good, I requested an international quote and received one within 48hours. After making payment via paypal I received confirmation within 24hours, and my order shipped 72hours after I received the payment confirmation.
All in all, a pleasant enough experience dealing with Emotiva.

Then the fun part (just pulling your peg leg).
UPS worldwide expedited shipping. Left Emotiva USA and reached Germany 2 days later. The day after that it landed at ORT. Not bad at all considering 82lbs box.
First day in SA, early morning; "Your package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release." (YAY! Err, I mean false hope).  Later that evening; "The shipment is being held by brokerage for reasons beyond UPS' control / We'll contact the sender or receiver about this delivery." So I phone UPS, they request ID number and contact detail for customs.
Weekend goes by, Monday goes by, phone up UPS again - shipment has been cleared and is being registered, expect delivery in 48hours. Cool. A bit later, check status online; "Documentation required for import is incomplete or missing. We are working to obtain this information."  :headbanger:

Was I supposed to ensure a Christmas bonus was attached for SA customs? Or was I supposed to include it in a shipment of AK47's? Would that have made customs clearance quicker??  :facepalm:

A couple years ago I ordered BlueJeansCable interconnects from USA, came in via FEDEX expedited, arrived in SA within 2 days! Then the local Fedex agents (NOT Fedex itself, I think was supaswift?) sent me a bill for R600 for pre-clearance, and milllion other items they seemed to make up on the spot, eventually got that sorted. Then when the driver was supposed to deliver to the office he only arrived at 7pm (our reception closes at 6pm). 5 days after landing in SA I finally got my package!

If its not customs, its the courier, if not the courier, then the post office....  :sd:

Latest posts