Post Office-h/u on phishing scam

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All. In case you're waiting for an item to arrive through the SA Postal Service, here's a heads-up on a phishing-type scam that I'm currently being exposed to.

Firstly - legitimate notifications. Some items (not all ...) do eventually arrive with SAPO sending you an SMS informing you which branch to collect from. I've waited up to a year for some records. If you know which branch your parcel will arrive at you can pop in an browse their paper-manifest list. Tedious, especially if you mistakenly arrive on 'SASSA-day', but this saved me from loosing one album ordered through Bandcamp.

The phishing scam. Since the beginning of this year I've received several SMS's with a URL link. Here's what to watch out for:
1. The URL is often one of those shortened links. These will take you to a fake site (e.g., SAPO replicate or other) asking you to complete your address details.
2. SMS texts - Various versions of the following: (a) Due to address problems, your item will be returned to the sorting centre, please update a valid and correct shipping address here <URL>; (b) We tried to deliver your package, but their is no postage (0.47 RAND). Follow instructions here <URL>; (c) Shipment attempt 1/2 - Item-IPS208497103ZA needs your attention and will be returned if not confirmed <URL>; (d) Because of address error ....; (e) Hi, you shipment was delivered yesterday to the drop-off point. View where you can pick-up your parcel here<URL>
3. The landing pages, despite having the appearance of the SAPO or other delivery services, do not have the correct domain names. Despite reference numbers or tracking #'s in the message or landing page, the URL does contain details of your unique #. That said, the scammers are upping their game here.
4. Although I now ignore the SMS's and links, when I did follow on the first ones that came through these pages no longer exist and/or display warnings.

As I was expecting items, I enthusiastically clicked through with a relieved sigh of 'FINALLY'. However, something 'phishy' always stopped me from following through with payment. I unfortunately did click through initially and they're now following up with increasing frequency with different types of bait. I may be wrong here, but I suspect that someone in the SAPO hands over personal contact details (e.g., cellphone numbers accompanying parcels) to these fiends.

Prior to ordering anything I now first check if the merchant or artist employs a courier service to ship items. As I've lost a few items & because of the above I refuse to purchase, even if shipped via registered mail.

Take care đź‘€
Neil

Latest posts