Strange Relapse

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All
I have enjoyed an eclectic genre of music (Except thugg and heavy metal.) my whole life. I have owned a large variety of equipment that reflected my ignorance of what it is that makes music that much more special. More than anything that equipment was the salesmans latest special that generated a reasonable sound off of a CD, or soundtrack from a DVD. Whatever delivered the bang for a buck, I suppose.
A decade ago I found myself in a precarious situation, not to labor the point, I lost my equipment.
To cut a long story short, I manged to save some of my CD's. I had an old 1998 Yamaha DVD player, a 1992 Rotel RB 970 BX MK1 and a pair of 1993 Mourdant-Short MS10's bookshelves, but was short a control amplifier.
Having shopped around desperately looking for Pre within my less than adequate budget, I threw my hopelessly frustrated caution to the wind and bought a dinky twin tube blue tooth preamplifier on E-bay for 495 Rondt.
Itching to hear MY music again the pre arrived 6 weeks later.
Greatly concerned that I had royally cocked it up by buying this tiny little Animiya Pre, I hooked everything up with the crapiest Leads n' RCA's mankind had to offer (The only stuff I had around actually.)
I hit the power buttons one by one. After 12 years in storage my Yamaha glowed orange the Rotel clicked on, a red pinprick confirming it had power, caps full. So I assumed, no smoke, we're ready to go. The DVD worked flawlessly, opened exactly as I had remembered, familiar sounds, et al. I loaded my HD CD of Stings, Mercury Falling. Hit the play button about 5 times before it had finished loading.
WOW. Having set the little preamp at center on volume, bass and treble controls as per the instructions in broken English, I was astounded by the sound of this cobbled together mish-mash of components was producing.
Being hooked again, line and sibker, this time for different reasons, intangible really. I have been playing around and most importantly having fun chasing that same feeling ever since and with every small improvement in the sound that I like I get a glimps of that feeling.
I seem stuck now, I suppose technically challenged at 61 with a limited budget, searching sourses of wisdom, to keep th bug satisfied.
I just love this thing. Whatever it is.