Wanna get back to music and leave hifi and gear

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King_Julian_S

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So after some long thinking and a few nights of testing this and that....
And I think something in this thread triggered it...
http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,51689.0.html
Have I  come to the conclusion that I'm not really happy with "hifi" etc... You all know the background of the discussions ( hifi gear vs music) .?

So I ended up connecting my Mars 2a3 little amp to the Lowthers in my main system.
That meant ViVid 1.5 and Isis mono blocks left standing on the side....

I played around a little and put various sources on and also genre's.

Now clearly the expectation was lower than what I am used to with the main system.
And I confirmed this over multiple listening sessions... The 2a3 and Lowther was no competition to the vivid and mono's....
But than I kept listening and listening .....
What made me come back for more ?
Was it the rolled off type sound , the lack of very detailed and clean lines in the stage , the lack of some power , ???
Your guess is as good as mine...
But what struck me was I was listening to more music ... Did not listen to the gear at all cause it was not and will not be the best system( setup) I ever owned or listened to... So listening to the gear would be a waste of time obviously...

At one stage I even had to turn the pre amp volume to 100% and it was still not close to the levels I would get from the ViVid at say 40% volume... That is cause the low output Mc I guess is really low even after the SUT and the pre amp ( I'm guessing here )....

The point of the story ...
Here is a 10k setup ( amp and speakers, old stuff ) that serves my need fine to listen to music....
It does some special stuff( I don't know what) that I seem to like... Quite a bit...

Do I keep it as the main system and listen to more of my music daily and enjoy it ...
Only time will tell ....

Latest posts