Bose 401 The Cure 4 Audiophile Syndrome

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereosane

Where Music & Emotions Meet
Reaction score
So I picked up a pair of Bose 401 that my friend asked me to clean up and sell for him..

I've only heard a Bose setup my Dad owned briefly for a week or two about 25 years ago.. They seem to be a speaker that most Audiophiles hate!

Man this speaker will cure you of any Audio Snobbery, it's just a totally different take on music reproduction, it's far from accurate, tone is very colored, bass lack pitch definition and at times can sound diffuse with a wondering soundstage, mostly on vocals that tend to drift around a bit, a very strange effect thsts not on the recording. Anyway, sitting and listening to them over the weekend ive falling in love with there sound, they just make music so much fun to listen to, the music 8s spread out to the back and sides with a bit less middle fill than what normal box speakers can do. But somehow the way the music is so detached from the speakers and floats around the room is just so much fun, it's extremely fussy with placement, but when I finally got it setup right and I had a strong centre image for vocals with the rest of the sounds Spread out to thd back and sides creating a real hall effect in the room, stranger the sound doesn't project out at and envelope you yet the room is somegow filled with sound, but the sound akways feels like it's just in front of you instead of you Bern surrounded by it.

Anyway, the biggest thing g this speaker had was musicality, after a few minutes I couldn't care about the coloration or strange affect of vocals shifting in the soundstage, music just sounded so good and so fun I just can't get venous of it.

When you go back to a more traditional box speaker yiu immediately hear where the Bose fall short yet when yiu put the Bose back in yiu quickly forget all those fancy Audiophile terms and remember thst music is also meant to be fun and enjoyed not analyzed.

I highly recommend a listen to a set of these if your Audiohile credentials allow it..

20231114_070154.jpg

20231114_070204.jpg