VU meters

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipodmusicman

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I grew up in the 80s and 80's hifi was where my love of music and hifi started.  One of the features of many 80s hifi and even 90s for that matter, is the VU meter, whether it is analogue or digital, I love VU meters as they bounce to the beat of the music - just gives that little more physical life to the music.  I have a Yamaha A-S501 amp and I merely desire Yamaha's top models because of that one feature, the VU meter.

I would sit at my desk working listening to Magic828 and I find my hand on my mouse moving it up and down to the beat of the music seeing the mouse cursor bounce on the screen as that killer track comes on.  Yeah, I know ... weird 'eh?

So my question is, as getting a dedicated hifi component that only consists of a VU meter is kinda like hunting for hen's teeth, are there any Windows or iOS apps that would realistically display a VU meter on screen, analogue or digital, where the VU meter does a damn good job of reproducing the beat of the music?

Yeah, I know this is kinda trivial, but I like VU meters and as a kid would stare at them, while enjoying the music.  Hell, I even connected 12v car light bulbs to my speakers back then and seeing them glow to the beat was just awesome.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Latest posts