Help a newbie match speakers & amp

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christoff83

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing well.  Utter newbie here...   

This is me: love music, zero musical talent or knowledge, zero audiophile kit, knowledge or experience.  Zero hifi kit or experience with a teeny weeny tiny bit of research-based knowledge.

This is what I'm looking for:  I'm looking for my first hifi kit. Just stereo audio, just music, no video, no surround, no bells & whistles.  Massive volume is not my first priority either. With a constrained budget I'm looking for plain & simple best quality I can afford audio.  I have this vision of crystal clear, rich sound with a bit of character.  I visit too many friends with monster systems pumping massive volume, but it's boring.  The music sounds... dull. I want to experiment and play with lossless music; see how good I can make a song sound.

This is what I'm considering:  Klipsch RP-600M paired to a NAD C316BEE v2 or a NAD C338.  As a fallback amp, maybe yamaha AS301 or AS501.  For some reason, I really really wanna go NAD and then a pair speakers to it that will provide a bit of character in the sound.  Perhaps add a yamaha WXAD-10 streaming player for Network & Airplay support (C338 has some network capability, the C316 has none).

These are my questions:
  • Thoughts on the pairing above please.  Will they pair?  Amp strong enough?  Think those NADs do 40w-50w continues but apparently are "real watts"
  • Will I get the quality, clarity and character I'm looking for?
  • What about music source, streaming and loss of quality?  I have digital sources (Apple phone / Apple music and YouTube Music).  Happy to experiment with high definition stream services like Tidal (no experience with it though).  Happy to buy and download proper true lossless audio files - I'm sure there's sites for it. Then they play locally somehow?  Not sure how compatible my candidate Amps are here.
  • Connectivity options aside, will I miss out too much if I go for the C316BEEv2 instead of the C338?  Power, volume, quality, expandability? etc [/li}

Much appreciated!
Christoff

Latest posts