Some help on speaker setup please!?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southafricanrob

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'd love some advice or suggestions on how best to achieve a simple, good speaker setup for the following:
Current usage is
- about 70% listening to music (streaming from spotify on a raspberry pi with a nice 2 channel DAC)
- about 25% watching movies/series from a media player (optical / hdmi out)
- watching the occasional DVD

My current speaker system is an out the box samsung home theatre system (5.1 with dvd player etc). What really grates me at the moment is having to keep turning it on and off and selecting inputs etc and generally having to store such a big box when i only use the DVD function occasionally.

Seeing as I mainly use it to listen to music from my raspberry pi (which is controlled via any phone/laptop etc ) I was thinking a 5.1 computer speaker setup may be better, just permanently on, volume set and i can start and stop music from anywhere in the house. Problem is I would like to keep proper surround sound for when I watch movies etc and not sure if a PC speaker set would support that. Does the 5.1 decoding get done on the media player (its a WDTVLiveHub) side or by the actual amp/speaker setup?

So any suggestions on what to use for a simple always on setup like this??
Thanks in advance,
rob