To add 2 x speakers to 5.1 home theatre (with existing room & placement limitations) or not ?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoziNic

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All,

Was hoping for some insights from the esteemed herein, my current setup is a 5.1 home theatre.
It has been good to me so far & have always been happy watching movies / concerts in it.

The room has some limitations with regards to speaker placement (when setting up I placed the rear surrounds at 16h00 & 20h00 from main listening position)

And have been thinking of adding another 2 surrounds to go 7.1 (and now that my in-laws have my old Sony surrounds literally sitting in a shed in their garden since moving, I thought why not..."Won't cost me anything other than time & effort getting into the ceiling to get them into my system"

Below pic is layout of the room, blue diamonds are current speaker position, Yellow cross is main listening position, The green diamond/crossy jobbies are where I was thinking of adding the 2 x additional surrounds (The large blue rectangles are a thick heavy L-shaped couch)...
1684497891478.png

My question is: would an additional 2 x surrounds speakers placed at 21h00 & 15h00 add any better experience to watching movies?

OR

Would they be better placed as "height" speakers placed similarly as the rear surrounds (but at height ie ceiling pointing down)

OR

would it be better to leave well enough alone (as I have watched a total of 5 movies in the last 2 years due to having 22 month old priorities) an just stick to the 5.1 I have

advice / feedback appreciated