Short speaker review

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashappy

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I would share a couple of observations on some speakers I have been listening to the last couple of weeks.
Some background:
I am NOT an audiophile, my ears are not that good. Do I appreciate good looking equipment, yes, do I like technology, yes, do I like to sit back with a good whiskey and listen to music, yes.
So, with that said, being from an analytical background spent in research I love comparing, but believe in apples with apples or if not, then one must give credit where it is deserved.

Main stereo setup is VA Predator, VA Whisper (MM and MC), Clearaudio Performance DC with MC Essence cart.
My stalwart speakers are Maggie 3.7i. Hydra power filter with all power cables shielded. Speaker cables Monster CX 2

Maggies:
Where do I start, I struggle with high frequencies, so I wandered into the realm of ribbons.
Started small, got the MMG, then 0.7, what do you know6 months and on to 1.7 then the opportunity arises to get 3.7i

What I love about them is that at any volume everything is balanced, I do not need to turn up the volume to bring out any more detail.
I found that a little 8" sub helps filling in the bottom end. I can sit back and enjoy anything from Krall, Clapton, Sabbath, Maiden, it just all sounds good, even on my hard rock and metal I could hear instruments being better detailed, the wife will sit with her book through some Rammstein.
So, given the gear and budget, this is heaven for me.

In popped the Legacy Classic HD:
With the Black Pearl finish and the angular curves, it has the looks.
At just over 50kg each, they certainly can be considered heavyweight.
My first listen is always for the highs, the tweeter is magic.
Did they get the balance right at any given volume? Close, better than many box speakers I had.
The Predator does a very good job of controlling the woofers, no booming experienced to date.
But wait here is another bit of tech, it has two little switches which allows for a 2dB trim on high an bass. So opportunity to tailor the sound and balance even more.

When you start to push the volume, they just get better. Vocals are clear, instruments well defined, staging is great.
They perform well with Clapton, Cale, Dream Theatre (that double bass), Soundstage is wide and deep, that should be a given at the price point.

Sonor HT-M

The underdog if one judges the hierarchy  by cost and size alone. I happen to have the Capellas in my HT side, so I had an expectation limit given the size and cost.
Sitting here typing, they are playing. Focus people, I am listening to a price point vs performance.
Are they clear? YES. is the soundstage deep, yes.
Height? Not so much and width suffers a tad.
Balance is immaculate. Low volume i experience both higher detail and the low frequencies fill the room.
Turn the volume a bit and the stage gets wider.

I think the best part was the feeling I got when something exceeds expectations. My biggest thought going through my head is, would they sound this good with a lesser amp? Follow the logic, if you spend X on a set of speakers will you spent X - 1 on the amp or X +1.
Do they give remarkable detail? Yes.
Will they replace my current speakers? No.
Horses for courses, but, do they deliver in quality, fun and coherence? Hell yes.

Think I have rambled enough, I just got so excited with all the speakers I had to share the fun.
To me, if you sit down to listen to music and after 4 hrs you are still smiling, you hit the jackpot in the hobby.

With the nice rain coming down this weekend in the Cape, I will be spending some lovely hours with the Legacy's.