Kinki Studio Mono- blocks

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlleyCat

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think @Chingy Kinki Studio mono-blocks deserve a thread of their own, this is not the last we will of /from them, I’m sure.

For added fun, beyond the other threads they appear on, I tried them in different combinations yesterday:

An aside Kinki’s is a fun name. For 25 years I lived in Kinkle Road, there were only 3 houses in that road, and called my house 5 on Kinky :ROFLMAO: , always brought a smile to visitors.

Pathos valve pre stage with Kinki’s. Refer to thread her for details:
https://www.avforums.co.za/threads/...system-performance.108098/page-3#post-1170047

Took out my Meridian 568 solid state preamp, balanced van den Hul Orchid interconnect into Kinki’s. The Meridian has it’s own Delta Sigma dac built in. Connected two sources : Meridian 500 transport and computer driven ASI Juli@ soundcard, both connected with RCA Meridian digital 75 ohm cables, and JRiver 29. Found it very hard to differentiate between those two sources, listening to the same music and swopping one to the other, real time.

The resolving power, detail, drive, etc was similar to the Pathos sound, the soundstage was smaller, less developed, less natural, bigger& bolder in volume, and the hardness of Delta Sigma coming to the fore. The imaging was also more ‘shut in’, everything closer together, compacted.

Compared the above to the Modwright Instruments 100W, (also mosfet, like the Kinki’s), replacing the Kinki’s. Body of instruments, tone, timbre, imaging, tangible, living spaces around musicians more easily ‘seen’. The soundstage more well developed. The sound was still big and boisterous, the Delta Sigma days maintaining that ‘hard stance’. Lower in amplitude than the Kinki’s, but more easier on the ear at the same time, or volume.

Lastly, my preferred Pathos as pre with the Modwright power amp, either the soundcard or the Meridian transport as source, into the Denafrips Aries R2R ladder dac and external (older) clock, gave me a better well rounded sound, with better imaging and soundstaging cues, and a far greater ease of listening to and enjoying the music.

The Kinki’s has their own solid state EX - P27 preamp, the combination receiving good reviews, and sounds like they are a decent match and belong together. That s Craig’s aim. Can’t wait to revisit and listen to the combination.

Latest posts