Playing MP3's on Onkyo Tx-NR616 vastly different to 608/609 -Any opinions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim101

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I have a collection of MP3's from back in the day stored on my server which up to recently I used to enjoy playing . I used to play them on the old Onkyo 608 and even the 609 via DLNA over the network . I then purchased an Onkyo TX-NR616 and tried playing the same old MP3's on it and the sound was totally different . The MP'3 sounded like I was playing it on one of those cheap MP3 usb players.

I even tried coping the MP3's onto a usb stick and playing them directly of the 616 usb port and the sound was just so terrible. I even switched back to my old speakers thinking perhaps it might be something to do with the new speakers, still came out terrible . I tried switching all of the additional 'Music Optimizers' and going pure direct but still the sound was just bad. I cant even play it at a descent listening level because the higher the volume goes the worse it becomes.

I eventually stopped playing the MP3's on the 616 .When playing movies via blu-ray or pc ,the sound is terrific. The crappy thing is that some of MP3's a classics for me and the Cd's have been stolen and are no longer manufactured. So I am kinda stuck with playing them on MP3.

I really did not want to go the whole route of getting a separate DAC to improve the sound because I was okay with how the sounded on the old receiver's plus I have too many cables and gadgets according to my wife. Having a single receiver using DLNA  made it easy for me to play the music using the Onkyo App in the other parts of the house.

I have a multi room setup and I was considering upgrading to an TX-NR818 but I cant find a place to audition the receiver. Question has anybody tried playing MP3's via DLNA with one of the newer model Onkyo's? Did you notice a change in the quality of the sound for MP3 playback?

Latest posts