Murky Surround Sound

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm hoping for some advice in trouble-shooting some audio issues I've been experiencing.

My current setup is as follows: Samsung Smart TV connected to a NAD T-751 AVR via optical cable, which is in turn connected to a 5.1 sound system consisting of Bentley FS150's, FR100's, FC150, and a Wharfedale active 10" subwoofer. speakers recently having been purchased on impulse on a recent Black Friday special.
The problem is that both the FS150's and FR100's sound amazing (amazing being a serious understatement, even) when the amp is used in stereo mode, but the system as a whole sounds murky when set to surround mode. Not absolutely terrible, but definitely a noticeable drop in sound quality.

The AVR detects incoming signal from the TV as Dolby Digital, for what it's worth. There is definitely sound coming from all speakers, and using the NAD's built-in test function does reveal that all speakers are playing at approximately the same volume.
According to the NAD T-751 specs, the AVR should be able to drive 5 channels at 60W x 5 Continuous power at 8 ohms, which when I squint at it does seem sufficient to drive the Bentley's, and also I've tried setting the FR100's as Left & Right while using a spare set of bookshelves as rear speakers just to see if connecting smaller speakers would make a difference, but no change. Lastly, the amp was recently repaired/serviced, and I'm fairly confident that any glaring issues would have been picked up during that exercise.

Anyone ran into similar issues or have any suggestions? Is this something that can be fixed somehow or is it just time for a new AVR?