Apple Music Lossless Sounds "Fuzzy" To Me

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I'm experiencing something a little strange with my two audio systems and the Apple Music "lossless" signal that I play through either of them. Every now and then it sounds like the vocals and some of the high end gets "fuzzy" (for want of a better word). It reminds me of dirt build up around the stylus from the days when I used to listen to vinyl.

I'm hoping that there is a simple fix for this issue, so if anybody who is knowledgeable about these things can offer some pointers that would be awesome.

Let me explain my systems:

On the desk I have a small Yamaha CRX-M170 mini amp that is driving a pair of Mission 701's attached to wall mounts and under the desk a small 6" JVC active sub. The signal is coming directly from my old 13" MacBook Pro, or my Mac Mini via headphone jacks.

At the other end of the room I have an old Yamaha RX-V1400 (bought recently on here) driving another pair of Mission 701's as fronts, plus a pair of smaller Mission 700's, a Tannoy MXC centre and a Paradigm PDR-10 active sub. This system is set up in 7.1 channel stereo and receives signal from both an Apple TV4K (through the optical connection to the TV) and an Apple Airport Express (via Airplay through a 3.5mm headphone jack).

For the most part everything on these two systems sounds pretty good to my uncultured ears, but every now and then the vocals on some songs get this fuzziness about them, which I really can't understand. It's not distortion, just a lack of clarity in the top end.

I don't experience this when I am listening to the songs in my car on a JVC head unit plugged into the iPhone at all.

So where can I lay the blame? Is it the source (Apple) or is it the system (Yamaha, Mission)?

Help!

Latest posts