ADL X1 DAP /iPOD/AIFF/ B&W P7 HP’s - My Poison For The Days Ahead…

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlleyCat

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
It’s going on two weeks now without my music fix from my hi-fi: a listening session of at least two hours without any interruptions, currently happening less and less with the pain of loadshedding, let alone the stresses our equipment is taking with the now mandatory minimum 3 times/day of switching them on/off.

It’s the best time for portable devices. The old iPods are still handy, especially if the music is in higher quality files. Mine are all in aiff - they don’t sound half bad at all. Take the sound quality up another level by adding a DAP.

Connected to my ADL X1 (Sabre 9023 Dac) via usb to 31 pin iPod connector is a pair of B&W P7 headhones. This combination gives a fairly decent sound - airy, open, detailed tops & midrange , where voices & instruments are easily heard, followed with speed and clarity. Both ranges are well represented and tracked, nothing hidden or lost here. The bass is punchy and has surprising depth, sounds very good when listening loud - wish this tightness, punch, speed and dynamics can be transferred to our rooms. This is a small rig and I am entertained and it holds my attention and enjoyment through my hours long sessions. It’s thrilling to listen to one’s music through another ‘medium’ (I was thinking of using the word ‘dimension’ - now that would have been something else if that was possible today, in these times ?!).

With the room removed my attention is solely focused on the music and the players/instruments - the actions, performance and how that music ‘escapes’ them. There’s very little attention at all paid to the gear, not once am I drawn to even thinking about how the music is getting to my ears. And its a huge relief! I’ve listened to more music this way, and enjoyed it! Zero distractions!

Even at this level you can still hear the gradations, body scratches, picking detail of a guitarist, the fullness, weightiness & depth of an acoustic upright bass and differentiate between a soprano and an alto sax, and the speed, lightness and airiness of percussion, etc, …more so with the amp in play.

I’ve tried many times in the past, sometimes desperately, to listen to my iPod on its own, and it was passable (like listening to mp3 - not getting into any of that here) - sound is bigger, more diffuse, woollier, and shut in : less transparent, less detailed and less easier on the ear, stick the HP amp on and its chalk & cheese. AIFF, to me at least is the minimum standard (no argument from me, if lower rates are chosen - your choice, your poison).

I’ve had other portable amps/days, the ADL does it for me. Yes, there are other, better,improved amp/dac combinations around today, your enjoyment will improve using them, for sure.

Also found the older iPods sound better than later versions. Like listening to the best AAD recordings versus DDD, with the digital bass and fullness, warmth, organic sound of analogue.

In these literally dark times, I am glad that I have a decent source that will provide me with some musical pleasure (and sanity) during the impending winter months. The amp easily manages a 4 hour session in this combination. Now to reassess the music on my iPods and fill them up…..

Latest posts