Main bedroom moderate home theatre design

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petek

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I am in the planning stages of this particular project. I've always been quite keen on the idea but it's never been a priority, especially since I have my dream system in the TV lounge (as per my profile). Recently we've made it a priority to give our main bedroom a facelift so the TV in the room is getting upgraded too.

Room layout

Room size is 7m x 6m with a roof height of 2.62m. Bed is not moving and neither is the dressing table. Which leaves the one side wall (the opposite wall is all windows) and would mean having to watch TV with a crooked neck...no thanks. So the only plausible location is ABOVE the dresser.

While this is not ideal for a normal TV lounge, it's a different story for watching series/sport, from your bed, under the duvet, on a cold winter Saturday morning! ;D

Planned equipment

TV: Samung Plasma PS43D450 43" 720p

TV mount: Vogels EFW6105 or EFW6205, depending on compatibility

AV Receiver: Sony STR-DH510 or Denon AVR-1311

Satellite: HD PVR

Speakers: in-ceiling, flush mounted. Two or four, not sure yet.

Micro sub: the Polk Micro series looks nice.

Consideratons

Now for the TV, it does not need to be top-of-the-line Full HD bling bling like my 50" Plasma.

The model I have posted above is cheap as chips with additional screen space due to the reduced bezel, has a thin profile and is HD Ready i.e. 720p. Since the only hook-up is an HD PVR, this is a perfect match considering the price. This is my second flat screen...still ignoring LED. ;)

I don't think I will be happy with just 2x10W TV speakers so in-ceiling speakers are on the cards. This unfortunately necessitates an AV Receiver so I'm going as cheap as possible (but not cheap AND nasty, hence Sony and Denon as above) and it would need HDMI (both models meet this requirement).

What I need comment on especially is sound...how are in-ceiling speakers? Can one get any type of surround sound going without front and centre channel speakers? This means I would consider 4 speakers and not 2...

The speakers really need to blend as the bedroom must look like a bedroom and not a home theatre! A ceiling rose will be installed soon along with new cornicing so flush mount speakers, preferably without directional tilt, will be required. Pity I need an AV Receiver for this because I really cannot find something light weight enough - just for 4 in-ceiling speakers...

I am not willing to open walls to install front and centre channel speakers and there also is no space. I could always go the projector route? But then there will be complications with getting a projector screen to come down in front of the dressing table. So this one is out, I think.

HD PVR

I already have a SAT-CR LNB with an open port so just need to run coax from the dish to the room. I also have a cable running from the main HD PVR to the bedroom for the current TV so at least half the work is done. Don't think I need any special considerations here. Actually, what I might do is swap the HD PVR's and move the new model to the lounge, so that the TDS850 (original model) will have the CatchUp database in the room. I know the new model is very limited.

Please feel free to comment as I have to get this right the first time around!

Edit: spelling and grammar

Latest posts