challenging perception

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamboetie

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I can already hear the guffaws of derision at what I am going to say.
I was browsing in Cash Crusaders today and , as usual , they were playing music through some of their in house [Dixon] equipment. Being drawn to anything audio of course , I had a look at it. It was a single [one] main front speaker of a 5 speaker home theater setup that was playing.The main speakers are MONSTERS that house 2x 10inch woofers , a midrange driver and tweeter of course and are biwirable.They stand on a nice looking plinth with a gap that would appear to be bottom ported - I can't be sure. Linky to a pic : http://cashcrusaders.co.za/product/new-goods/9751?s=125&cat=39

Anyway , it occurred to me that I was hearing what seemed to be pleasantly decent sound with quite a tight and tuneful bass response. The mids sounded OK to me as well. I will not pass judgement on the treble which is harder to assess in a short and less than ideal situation like that. Remember that this is ONE speaker playing what is being fed through an undoubtedly shitty front end and amplification.
It just made me wonder what that monster pair would sound like in a proper setup with quality ancillaries. You could even use them as 2 subs if you wanted to. Take the stupid grills off and they don't look to bad either.
The 5 speaker combo is a paltry 2.5 k. You can probably buy the mains for about 1.5K. Kind of an interesting perspective on what we have become used to pricewise I think.
Of course I would not know how they would react if pushed hard , but it was playing at a medium volume in the shop. It would also make a nice project to "mess around" with [put in better drivers , upgrade crossover etc. if one is so inclined.

Latest posts