Audyssey XT32 query and Subwoofer upgrade advice, please?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBawb

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Warning - this post contains a 10" vs 15" comparison, multiple subs, mismatched subs, and a general air of cheapness about the author.  :giggle:

Firstly, yes, I've googled and used the search function on the forum... But there are a few schools of thought regarding multiple subs (and keeping them identical) vs going for a bigger cone to move more air.

My HT setup is in the living room - a 6 x 7M room with a relatively low ceiling (2.3M), which then steps down into the bar area, a further 6 x 8M with a higher ceiling at around the 3M mark.

Current sub is an Energy V-SW10 - rated at 300W sustained, 1200W peak... (practically identical to the Mirage Prestige S10) and to be honest, it's done just fine thus far....

.....until - I upgraded to an Integra DHC 80.3 processor, and after calibrating the Audyssey MultiEQ XT32, I found the bass and LFE levels to be significantly boosted from where it would previously calibrate with normal MultiEQ XT.

Has anyone else found this more bass-heavy approach to be the case with XT32 calibration - or could it just be an anomaly due to the placement of my sub? (in between the front speakers)

Anyhow, given the more pronounced LFE and a relatively large space, I've got an itch to upgrade, in terms of adding another subwoofer into the mix and seeing what it does:

1) I can get my hands on a second Energy V-SW10... which according to most expert texts, should be the ideal solution?
2) I can buy the 15-inch 600W Wharfedale SW380, and have XT32 configure / EQ it individually as the 2nd sub, to blend with the V-SW10
3) Get the SW380, but have it running on its own?

I'm not familiar with the SW380 - but barring the cheap-looking LCD panel up top, it seems to be a very well put-together piece of kit... however, I do have some concern that lies with timing implications of a 15" cone capable of nearly an inch of excursion - a review I read claimed its timing to be every-so-slightly off when it came to quick and precise bass thumps in music. Does Audyssey cater for synchronizing timing on subwoofers as well?

And before anyone suggests it - No, I don't have the cash for a DB1, an 8-series sub, or even a PV1 for that matter - I don't want to throw money at something that may not even be a problem to begin with. I'm just curious.

Or do I just hook up a 2nd sub in the form of the Yamaha YST-SW160 banging around in my garage (which I've been told is crap) and hope for the best / take things from there?  :tongue:

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts