Audyssey calibration results seem off?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seeyou

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys

So I have a Denon X1400H AVR and the fronts + center of the Monitor Audio Bronze 5 set. (surrounds are coming soon) The two surrounds I'm using for the moment are from my previous Onkyo set. I also have the SVS SB12-NSD sub hooked up.

After running the Audyssey calibration, the calculated results and settings seem weird to me. The speaker settings are set to the following:

Front: Large
Center: Small
Subwoofer: Yes
Surround: Small

And crossovers:

Front: Full range
Center: 40hz
Surround: 120hz

Levels and distances seem to be correct as far as I can hear. However, the above seems counter intuitive to me. Is not the point of the sub to offload the lower frequencies from the other speakers? I'm curious if there's a reason I'm missing as to why the fronts would be set to Large instead of Small, with a crossover around 80hz. It also seems bizarre for the center crossover to be so low, and the surrounds crossover to be so high. (crossover in the Onkyo full system was 80hz) Seems bizarre to me, as in this setup the sub is hardly used at all.

I'm also curious as to the usual Bass settings. Is there any disadvantage to using "LFE+Main"  for the sub to kick in on the lower frequences even on content with no LFE data? (shows / movies in stereo for example)

Thanks!

Latest posts