Lovers of yellow cones - lend me your ears - more system advice pls?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBawb

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
From here: http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,31732.0.html

The bug has now bitten, and it would seem that I've officially embarked on the slippery slope of compulsive AV upgrading disease.

I've grown used to the AR-1000's, and they no longer blow me away... The floorstanders aren't bright at all and feel very mid heavy, and in addition to that, the AR subwoofer would still have a whoomp at higher volume levels (though nowhere near as bad as the Sony's)

I've already replaced the sub with an Energy Veritas V-SW10 subwoofer (rated 300W sustained, 1200W peak), and it has beautifully rich, rumbling bass.

But now I need to incorporate yellow cones into the setup... I've only heard one set of B&W's many moons ago, but seeing as I've got the DM602 S3's now (which I haven't even hooked up yet), I'm pretty determined to go the B&W route... if I don't like it, I suppose I could always flog it again.

As luck would have it, I've stumbled onto a chap selling a set of DM601 S3's, and an LCR60 S3... which means this set would make for a very nice tonal match, being from the same era, series and specification of speakers.

He wants R4k for the set... which I understand to be pretty much middle-of-the-road pricing for these, but on the plus side, they're absolutely immaculate, and he's offered to throw in a very nice looking set of stands as well.

I'll be running these off my VSX-821 until my new AVR arrives... The Sony STR-DN1040 shipment has been delayed, and is end of life anyways... so I'll be getting its replacement, the STR-DN1050... I just hope it's as good as the 1040 dynamically.

So here come the questions:

[list type=decimal]
[*]General consensus seems that B&W's like a lot of power... even 602 S3's by the sound of things. Any personal experiences with amps driving them? Dedicated power amps?
[*]I have a relatively large space to fill - 6M x 13M approximately. Will the setup of 602's, 601's and LCR60 do the trick? Or should I rather hold out for 603/604 fronts, an LCR 600 / HTM61 centre channel, and run the 602's in the back?
[*] Does anyone have any experience with the Energy V-SW10? Would it be a decent tonal match for B&W's? Or should I rather use it elsewhere and get a suitable B&W sub?
[/list]

Thanks in advance.

Bawb

Latest posts