Audio irony: Car - home music

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christowp

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I commute 100km return everyday so spend quite a bit of time in my car daily. I drive a stock standard Polo 1.6 with factory fitted mp3 player and speakers. I listen mostly to Fine Music radio (a classical/jazz station here in CPT) and also a slelection of my own CD's (Jazz, Jazz-funk, classical, folk). Music keeps me company and I really enjoy some of the stuff tremendously. Sounds great, good detail, warm, musical, most of what I like to hear from my home system.

My problem I have some of the time and more often than not recently is that the stuff I enjoy in my catr sounds less than ideal and certainly not enjpoyable on my home sysytem. I enjoy most of my my music played on my home system but some of the music I really enjoy (in the car - music that I like) is not enjoyable in the comfort of my home. My analysis is that I am enjoying music (most of the reason I am in this hobby) but not where I have spent most of my money and continue to invest and upgrade all the time. My current current system , like most forum members I believe, has evloved over a number of years with a view to improvement and searching for particular musical and sound goals.

I want to enjoy my music , all of it, at hme as well. So some bad recordings sound good in the car (probably more forgiving and the environment of the car) but horrendous on the main system. really good recordings sound great at home.

Is it the recordings is it the music - a dilemma and and irony I thought I'd share. Is it worth having an analytical ysytem that is good selectively or do we all need good, average and other systems for the different levels of recording quality. This hobby is stressfu;l, full of hi's and lows and alwayds full of questions - maybe these are enough reason to make it worthwhile     

Latest posts