Extremis Project

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerhard

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I am currently building my main speakers. I have started the build looong ago but due to work pressures could not progress as quickly as I would have liked. We'll I "sacrificed" a holiday at the coast so that I can spend some quality time with the loved ones in the garage... Unfortunately I have lost some of the photos I have taken before so this one will pick up midway in the build. (I'll be doing a more complete post of the HiVi project build http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,7128.0.html).

The design is based on the same Seas 4,5" (H149) mid bass woofers and 27TDFC tweeter as I am using in the HiVi project but the woofers are the Adire Axtremis 6.8's. A similar design philosophy is followed as with the HiVi project which is active crossover and EQing and 250W amplification on the bass drivers.

Here's the box design:
Box.png

The image still shows twin ports but I have changed this to one port.

Box showing bracing and filling.
10102009002.jpg

10102009003.jpg

Here's the template guide I am using to do the cut-outs for the drivers. The mid has an odd shape which could be a pain to flush mount without a template like this. It also helps with repeatability of the look. I'll be doing the same thing on the HiVi project.
20101209035.jpg

Here's the baffles with all the cut-outs.
20101211036.jpg

Here's I am clamping the first baffle.
20101211038.jpg

The finish will be black vinyl for the front, top, back and bottom with solid walnut sides.

More photo's to follow soon...

Latest posts