Long-term active speaker project

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwatts

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
INTRODUCTION:
Unlike previous projects, this will be chronicled as it progresses and not after completion. It is the most ambitious and expensive private project I ever undertook, and progress is slow due to limited time between work, other audio R&D and family. The shortage of available materials also causes large delays.
Since I doubt I'll even be 50% done by year-end, do not expect regular updates or a quick completion like some of the stuff built here.

GOAL:
- An active 3way stereo speaker without the need for subwoofers
- As much of my own designs as possible
- No valves: they can be added elsewhere in the chain if need be
- Support for both analog and digital inputs, as well as analog inputs from a HT source
- Volume controlled digitally by remote control or streamer

DESCRIPTIONS:

The project can be divided into three distinct sections:
1. The physical speaker
2. Amplification
3. Source/DAC/Preamp/control

The speakers themselves will be custom built by a German OEM and based on one of their flagship models in terms of concept, but all three drivers are changed. Each speaker will have a tweeter that's still TBD, 8" cone midrange and 2x 15" woofers in a sealed enclosure.
Despite being in development for two years already, shortages means it will likely only be ready next year, which is a good thing since a wooden box with drivers is useless until the electronics are ready.

The focus here is therefore more on the other two. It was an early conclusion that to achieve high quality and flexibility, building it all into the speaker will not be feasible with the complexity I had in mind. Similarly, neither will a large single 19" chassis. The subsequent option was to separate the DSP/preamp from the amplifiers. In terms of purism, three stereo amplifiers would have been the normal way to go, but since I wanted to use the amps as 'monoblocks' right next to the speakers with short speaker cables and long XLR interconnects, I rather opted to place the three amplifier channels inside one chassis. Three attractive 19" aluminium enclosures were ordered: one for the central DSP/preamp and two for the three-channel amps. This gave some reasonable room to work with.

A reasonable amount of progress have been made with the amplifiers and almost all the design work is done, but building and assembly of it all in the chassis is still outstanding. I will probably update later once there is more finality on this.

The DSP/control side is even further behind since neither the intended DSP nor DAC chips are available yet. Designs for what I have in mind here are fairly mature though since there is plenty to inherit from past projects.

Latest posts