Remote A/B switcher - Is it a good idea?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolakidd

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I have been wanting to build a switcher for AB(C) test and actually have a simple analogue design.

I'm desk-bound right now, but I was playing around with Arduino's and relays for a project a few weeks ago, and it occurred to me that it would be really simple to create a remote-controlled switcher for A/B testing preamplifiers. I designed one with:
1 Input for a DAC or phono
Which switches to
3 x inputs for pre-amps
feeding
3 x outputs

This would give you the ability to switch through three pre-amps very quickly.

The whole thing would be remote-controlled with Arduino and could be built with off-the-shelf parts. Easy enough.

It feels too simple like I am missing something. The question I have is, is it actually a good idea specifically in terms of:
1. The loads. We're talking about a zero-to-hero input into both the preamp and the amps here. I know music does this all the time, but this seems different.
2. Actually, I find a component only reveals its character after a certain time. I don't think it's anything other than just entering a headspace where you are actually listening.