Full range speaker build, maybe group buy and build, tube amps low wattage

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarel.wagner

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Ever since the Frugal Horn folks started that design I was following along with interest. There were a couple of local people that build some for themselves, even sold a few on here. I am seriously considering building a pair. These are good for low power amplifiers like SET Valve Amps as an example.

Would anybody be interested in doing the same?

Here is my thinking. Do a group buy and import the drivers, either Fostex or Mark Audio, we have a choice. I just ordered a @Mars desktop SET Amp with about 5-8W output. I currently own a pair of 12" Goodmans Axiom horns build by Chris Templer based off of the Coral Horn design. I also just acquired another set of Full Range driver speakers with Fostex FF165 drivers in Bass Reflex boxes.

For this lil Valve amp, I was thinking of doing a set of Frugal Horns. I can re-use the Fostex drivers, or get another set. We can get Baltic Birch Ply locally and design baffle compensation and tuning circuit for the first set. I have all the tools to measure and design what is needed. I can build those circuits for the speakers and make them available. Most folks on here may not want to, or do not have either the time or tools to build cabinets. The plan is to get this build by someone that can do CNC cuts for the plywood, and you can either assemble them yourself (flat packed), or have a complete set of cabinets delivered to you.

If there is any interest, we can find a company, or a person on here that can do the woodworking part for us. Then there is no sourcing of wood or cutting and making of the cabinets, only assembly. I am planning to start this likely in Feb 2023. Should this be of interest, please dive right in.

Groetnis