Yamaha receiver sound issue

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClintT

Reaction score
Hi all

Quick into... I love music, i "dj", for fun. I play drums.. i generally just love listening to music.

My previous (fortunately didn't get rid of it yet) setup was Samsung receiver, powering Sony ss-f5000, Sony centre and 2 sony 10" passive subs.
To (i thought) upgrade, I recently purchased a used Yamaha RX-V475 and a Jamo 200 active sub.
I connected the fronts to the Fronts output, + to + and - to -, and sub to Subwoofer pre-out.
My input is HDMI, with video going to the tv via another hdmi cable.

When I play the music, it sounds like an off frequency radio station.. Think when you want to listen to KFM on 94.5, but you're on 94.1.
It's scratchy and "muffled" and the subwoofer does nothing. However, when i play 1 of the fronts with the sub at around -12db (max is 16db), it sounds quite decent. But, this is just 1 front and i have to push the amp to nearly max. Then, connecting both fronts, it goes to the terrible sound. And when i say terrible, my laptop's internal speakers sound WAY better.

Has anyone experienced the same? IS it a setting? Please assist.

Latest posts