When is my DAC good enough? (Argon DAC1 -> Mav-Audio TubeMagic D1 -> ??)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BowlGuy

Reaction score
Or perhaps, at what point do you know that the quality of your DAC has exceeded the abilities of the rest of your equipment?

Until now I have been using an Argon DAC1 (https://www.hifiklubben.dk/Products/argon-dac1-d-a-konverter-31801/). It was an impulse buy at a Hifi Klubben store in Lyngby while helping a friend choose a soundbar. It was early days, and it was my first move away from just using an old AV710 soundcard that I had lying around. The DAC1 had overall more clarity and a bit more bass extension and control. It was better than the soundcard. Great I thought, now I just need to get better speakers and amplifiers.

Since then I have managed to collect a Linn Klout and a pair of B&W 685 S2's. These are respectively a bit old and not exactly high end, but they are quality components.

Today a new Maverick Audio TubeMagicD1 Plus arrived with my name on it. It has the op-amp upgrade and I'll be getting the tube upgrade on Sunday ($3.99 on eBay is cheaper than $20 from Maverick). I was so scared that the R2900 I spent on getting the D1 to my door would not be a significant improvement on the R1800-odd I spent on a whim. The D1 is good. I think if you spent some time reading up on it you'd also be able to convince yourself that it is good. Many a forum contributor has written many a happy review of the unit, including here on avforums.co.za. I need some more time with it and I'd like to hear it with the upgraded tube, but so far I feel it is R2900 well spent.

..., but it's not the sound I heard that one time on a pair of B&W805s powered by some Electrocompaniet amp and a Audiolab M-DAC. So as usual, the itch remains unscratched. (Doesn't it always?)

So what next? The D1 has made a significant difference, but how much more can I get out of my equipment with a better DAC? I so wish I could hook up an M-DAC, a Bel Canto or a Benchmark to find out what my equipment is capable of, but that isn't possible.

I'd like so see some discussion on this because after tonight it feels like I shouldn't be spending any money on speakers or an amp until I have at least gotten an M-DAC. I am wondering about this as it applies to my equipment ( of course ), but also in a more general sense about the appropriate proportional spend that should be allocated to a DAC.

So, those of you in the know, what gives?

Latest posts