Valve Audio and the Whisper.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleansound

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I have decided to create this topic for a few reasons.
To express my thanks to Schalk and to air my views regarding his exceptional products.

I have three Valve Audio amps.
It used to be The Trinity ( a once off pre-amp), the Black Widow power and the Whisper phono.
We often ask when will the upgrades stop.

In December I received my Genesis pre-amp.
There was a small issue with the gain as the man was pressed for time.
I also had one or two other small issues.

Schalk came to my home on Saturday and changed the gain settings as well as getting the other issues sorted out.

To cut a real long story short.
All the stuff from his stable in my system performs above and beyond.
I have to take the Whisper and really make an exception regarding this product.

I have also mentioned here before, quite a long while back that I was looking at a phono stage.
At the time I was prepared to spend around R 15 K.
I had a Rhea Asthetix on demo and wanted something really good to replace my then already good reference being the Audio Synthesis Passion.
The Rhea was great but offered no more than the Graham Slee Reflex/Elevator combo (to my ears)

I also managed to get a few sessions in at the time with a Manley Steelhead, this product blew me away, in actual fact it blew my socks and boxers off and became an obsession to me.
I started saving up pennies and looking at all I could sell to they and get a s/hand one or even a demo.

Schalk and I also then at the time made a trade and I then confirmed an order for a Whisper.

The day he dropped it off with me, his words was "now you can forget that Manley"
Took it home gave it time and I was blown away.
I don't want to elaborate to heavy on the sonics and such but the bottom line is that the Whisper offered me as exactly what I heard from the Manley.

Now with the Genesis in the system I decided this weekend to play around with the Slee's and The Whisper to get another point of reference.

All I can say, and it will sound very clich? is that I am hearing music as I have never heard music before.
The Whisper is a serious contender in the world of Esoteric phono stages and the best part of all is that there is no need to pay the esoteric price tag.

Well Done again Schalk and thank you once again for all you efforts  :notworthy: :noteworthy:

My upgrades have come to an end, unless of course my ship comes in for some mono-blocks  :thumbs:

Latest posts