Rotel RB 1080 Woes

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 1080, when working properly is a great piece of kit. Very powerful.
A while ago I was tinkering around swopping out components and speakers doing what we do. As I had done many times prior, I switched on the amps, the protection lights came on and off one channel when dead. I switched everything off cautious of possibly doing more damage. I took the Amp to a local "repair guy". On fetching the Amp from him he did a sound demo on the Amp, happy that it made sound, using some arb speakers in his workshop. I never gave it another thought.
After a few months I hooked it up to my new Rotel RC 1572 mkll. I connected the 12v remote as normal, switched on the pre-amp...the 1080 failed to switch on. On checking connectivity, all seemed fine but the Amp would not turn on. I did find switching the Amp on manually worked and the sound was as I expected. However as the Amp is switched on, the two warning indicator lights should light up briefly. I understand this is a autonomous system check signal when even when turning off. The Amp doesn't do this at all, but plays music as it should.
I switched off disconnected everything and the Amp has been in a blanket in storage for a year.
It is time to get this AB going again, but, for obvious reasons, believe it needs a thorough going through by an Accomplished Amp Guru like I saw on uTube replacing corroded diodes, sorting glue issues, replacing caps and burned transistors. All the stuff that blows fuses and our budgets. I'm not to bad with a screwdriver in my hands, but electronically, I am a clown. Your wisdom would be appreciated. Tank you
Thank you.