To soundbar, or not to soundbar? That is the question.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleym

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Due to space constraints, I'm considering downgrading from my current floorstanders+subwoofer to a soundbar.

I had a listen to the (old) JBL 5.1 system late last year - the one with the detachable side gizmos. It sounded okay-ish. Bass was there, mids not so much, and lots of tsss tsss.
I wasn't immediately sold on it, the detachable side speakers put me off as it seems like a gimmick, and I'm not really sold on gimmicks. I'd much rather pay for better sound than for a 'cool' gimmick.

The new JBL 5.1 came out this year. It doesn't have the detachable side speakers. And the speaker configuration is different from the previous version. I'm hoping that they improved the mid range performance. Has anybody demo'ed this? What did it sound like?

Others that I have considered include:
1. Samsung qr70 - this one sounded good too. I'd say better than the old JBL 5.1
2. Klipsch Bar 48 - haven't heard this, but the specs on paper put me off. I think it lacked in features compared to the others.
3. Polk Magnifi max - haven't heard this one.

What other soundbars (with a sub) in that sort of price range are worth considering?

Latest posts