State of cinema in SA

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert_E

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
The last time I went to watch a movie at Ster-Kinekor, (the last Harry Potter) I was so disappointed because the film (projected image) looked like it was a hundred years old and they only had the front speaker (I think it was the left one) playing. Anyway I decided then that I won't go to Ster-Kinekor again, so tonight I went to see Transformers at IMAX in Menlyn. 

This is the first time I've been to Imax, and I was expecting to be thrilled. Eish. The image was so blurry most of the time you couldn't see what's going on. BUT the biggest disappointment was the sound. Before the movie began they played a little intro saying the audio system is powered by something like 12000 Watts, so I was thinking WOW! This is going to be so cool! The deepest bass I think I might have heard that one time sounded like a wet towel dropping on a rug.  :-\

It's disgusting really, don't they spend like hundreds of thousands of rands when they put together cinema sound systems? I sat imagining what that movie might feel and sound like at home.

So, are there any worthwhile cinemas left ANYWHERE in this country or is it a completely lost cause?

Latest posts