Sony STR DG800 - help setting up

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoziNic

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
hoping to get some help from those with more knowledge.

I found a Sony STR DG800 for my inlaws for very reasonable money (it has 2 x HDMI inputs, & 1 x HDMI output), and on Saturday I went to set it up with my old Sony 5.1 speakers (sans the subwoofer which I've kept). before going there to setup I tested the unit at home, the stereo works perfectly when I plug in my ipod via 1:2 RCA into the aux/tape input, & when I do speaker test I get test sound through all 5 speakers (L,C,R,SL,SR) so I assume everything works fine.
on getting there to setup, I run the DSTV & the Bluray player into either HDMI port, and then run the HDMI out into the tv (which is an LG 42LF2, LED tv I'd say probably 6 years old).
I connect all the speakers, I do test tone, and get test tone to all 5 speakers without issue.

But when I switch to either the DSTV or the Bluray player on the amp (or the mede8er when I try another device via HDMI), I get picture on the tv, but the sound only through the TV as well, what the hell? why? I thought that HDMI provided both picture & sound? that is the entire purpose of HDMI is it not? In the manual for the AVR, I find the below note

I tried to go back to analogue in stero (Red, white, & yellow rca's, and got sound in stereo at the beginning but then I just got this weird crackling, humming noise) but from what I can see the neither the DSTV nor the bluray player have analogue 5.1 out, only stereo (& infact neither does the mede8er) they only have 2 channel out, so then what is the point of having 5 speakers setup

1. Could it be the TV that perhaps doesn't have ARC function? or that the Amp doesn't have ARC function? that is affecting why I'm not getting sound coming from the speakers?
2. should I or would it be better to run sound via Digital optical cable to the TV? and still picture through HDMI

I just want this sorted so that my inlaws can watch DSTV & the occasional music DVD on the surround system, I don't think they have turned on the mede8er we gave them for the better part of a year, and the bluray player probably less, but hey, at least maybe now if I can get this right they will

your help appreciated obi wan kenobi's!