Rotel RB 1050 going into protection with B&W DM601 S3

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfandy

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a set of B&W DM601 S3 in my bedroom, which I used to run with an integrated amp Advance Acoustic MAP 101. Even though the amp is only rated at 45W, it could drive the B&W's very well - even at higher volumes.

However, wanting to switch to a Sonos system (which would not work with the MAP 101), I picked up a used Rotel RB 1050 to use with a Sonos Connect. Plugged everything in, set the RB 1050 to signal sensing, and I was good to go. At low to medium levels, the systems works well and sounds very nice.

But as soon as I start increasing the volume above roughly 50% on the Sonos, the Rotel goes into protection. And I am not talking insanely loud volumes, but hardly more than normal listening volume in the rather small bedroom (approx 18qm2). If I play a song with less bass, I can turn the volume up higher without the Rotel going into protection. But as soon as any bass sets in, the Rotel decides that it is too much to handle. However, as soon as the song has less bass again, it switches back and starts playing again.

I understand that the B&W are a bit more difficult to drive and prefer a bit more juice, but I was expecting the RB 1050 with its 70W to be able to handle them. I am not even getting close to the volume levels that the MAP 101 was able to play without any difficulties (in fact I never had the MAP 101 breaking under the B&W's load).

My question: Did I miss anything? Was it to be expected that the RB 1050 would only be able to drive the B&W's to medium levels? Are the B&W's really that difficult to handle?

I have another RB 1050 in my other house, where it comfortably drives a pair of Monitor Audio RS1 - and I can crank up the volume to party levels without any issues...

Latest posts