Rattling window glass hack

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cybasoul

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Yes it's a hack, but it worked.

So late last year I introduced a second subwoofer in our 6/6/2.8 "TV room" which greatly increased the sound pressure in the room. It was all good during summer since the windows and two doors were open most of the time, especially when listening at high levels.

Come winter, all openings are closed pretty much all day. That introduced rattling when listening to music at high levels or watching movies even at medium levels. The rattling mainly came from one window panel which is about 2.5/2 meters.

We basically lived with the rattling for all of winter, till this past weekend. I thought it's not curable, it's just due to the pressure due to the room is "sealed", doors and windows closed.

Three weeks ago I decided to inspect the source of the rattle and discovered that the inside of the window had chipped window putty leaving a gap between the glass and the frame. Some parts were more extreme than others.

I then went and bought white silicon to match the frame color. In my mind this was just an experiment. I then sealed the obvious parts that had gaps, basically two sides of the window and left the sides that looked ok.

I decided to leave it for a couple of minutes before playing music at high levels. But within two minutes of waiting I thought maybe I should play the music loud before it dried up so that the silicon would move and sink further into the gaps.

I immediately got the desired results, it worked like a charm. No more rattles at any levels. We even watched a movie later on and my wife noticed there was no longer rattling in the room.

Anyway, thought I should share this in case anyone is living with a rattling window, and if the root cause is the same as mine.

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts