Novice DIY Subwoofer build - need some advice...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCS

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Hoping to get some advice on which route to go for a DIY subwoofer build... Semi total beginner, or should I rather say novice  :-\

For some reason I have my heart set on two new enclosures - one for each corner of the back of my lounge, so I am certain that would make a difference in planning everything.

Basically I already have a Jamo 12" subwoofer (Coupled Cavity - Bass Reflex) in a huge coffee table sized box which pumps out really low levels of bass (not sure the correct words to use though suffice to say this thing makes my window frames rattle - though in a good way :). Now I just feel it is lacking in the punchy sort of bass, the sort of bass that hits you in the gut if that makes sense - again not sure of what words to use :-/

So here are some questions to get me started looking in the right direction...

1. From my research it seems a sealed enclosure is the way forward for my particular needs. This also seems like the easiest option to build seeing as this is my first attempt. Would it give the best results though?

2. Would it be better to have an enclosure with one big 12" sub or an enclosure with two smaller subs (or just one small sub) to achieve the 'punchy' bass I am after? I am sure using two subs in one box would add a level of complexity to designing the box, though if it gives better results might be worth it.

3. Speaker choice... Any ideas? I recall Ian recommending the JBL GT5-12 in another thread. Its in my price range and I like the look of it. So far this is my weapon of choice.

4. Amplification.... (this is where my brain starts to hurt). I like the idea of having a separate amp to run the sub woofers. If I use an ordinary stereo amp to drive the subwoofers would I still have to worry about crossovers and all that other complicated *&^%$? Can I even use a stereo amp? Any recommendations on what amp I should use?

Cheers for any advice or pointers in the right direction!!!