Newbie Needing HT Guidance

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeTsU

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I don't post much on here.  I'm still a noob of note and have a lot to learn.  I was pointed to this forum a while ago by a member, who I bought an Onkyo HT-S5405 HTIB from.

It's been a lovely upgrade from our Sony HTIB we used to have (the sound wasn't round, often too trebly or bassy).  I know it's a far cry from what most of you have as kit.  But my plan was to try start somewhere, and start with a good entry level setup.

I'm looking for advice and guidance and wanting to learn.  I've slowly started to spend a little more time on here, allowing me to understand bipole & dipole speakers.  The thread about cable quality was interesting reading too, to mention one of a bunch of various I've been following.

My budget is very tight compared to most, and I wanted to start off by looking at what I need to aim for, so I can budget for those items.  My plan of action, is to slowly replace the stock Onkyo speakers (not sure if I should start center, then fronts, then surrounds, then sub).  And finally, upgrade the receiver.  Does this sound like a good idea?

To give a bit of background, I used to do music (played clarinet & bass clarinet) both at school as well as for the EC Philharmonic Orchestra, for around 11-12 years.  I've got a somewhat musical ear and can appreciate most genres. We predominantly use the setup to watch movies & tv shows.  We have a Samsung 50" LED and HP Microserver running Openelec.

I would appreciate your guys opinions on what is good reading to understand more, as well as which speakers should be upgrades first, as well as an eg of makes to suit a low budget.  For eg. I've been considering a set of MA BX1's for the surrounds.  Not sure about fronts as MA BX5's are out of budget now (also not sure of the stock sub would hold up against them). The BX-Center is affordable I think.  That's the other thing, I usually like to stick to a particular brand and complete "the set" by not mixing and matching brands of speakers.

I'm sorry for the long winded post, but would appreciate any advice. :smile:

Ciao, Matteo

Latest posts