HT Newbie - Choosing the AVR

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewFrancis87

Reaction score
Hi All

I have been into stereo for a long time and just now starting to put a HT setup together.
I had a start with a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 100?s (4g) which will now serve as fronts, just secured matching FX surrounds here on the forum, and I managed to get a MA Gold C250 Centre (5g).

Unfortunately there?s going to be a pause in the journey as I now need to save for a AVR, just wanted opinions from the more experienced HT guys regarding the AVR (Sub will follow), Denon and Marantz appear to be the obvious choices for me right now (Denon AVCX3700H or Marantz SR6015), budget doesn?t allow for the bigger siblings (even these are a stretch).

The question is, will older, more powerful receivers be a better choice if I can find one, or is there a significant benefit to buying receivers new?

Also, I have a pair of Audiolab 8200M mono?s which can handle fronts, will this take some of the strain off the receiver or does it not really make a difference, or is it preferable to have the AVR run all the speakers to match the sound signature?

Keen to hear your opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk