My new listening room

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
After procrastinating and generally stagnating for the past 2 to 3 years, I have finally decided to pull my finger out of an uncomfortable place and find a bigger place.

After viewing many and more houses weekend after weekend, I have settled on a place in my current suburb which I think has some potential.  Nice cottage style old house where I can move around and breathe.  It needs quite a bit of work, but that isn't scaring me too much at this point.

Anyway, one of the criteria in choosing a place is that is has a space I can use as a dedicated hifi room.

This is the general floorplan of the hifi room.  It measures roughly 8.68m by 7.3m.  Ceiling height is 3.2m

What makes it cool is that it has a door directly from the front courtyard, and another door opening onto the pool.  It has a on-suite bathroom.  Full bath and shower  ;)  Also, there is a gas fireplace.  Even better, it currently has a bar with plumbing, so I can see myself never having to leave this one room  ;D

From an acoustic point of view, there are good aspects and bad aspects to this room.  Firstly, it has many facets - the walls have all kinds of nooks and crannies, meaning we can hopefully break some of the standing waves up into less severe components.  The floor is tiled, so that is probably going to be a bit of a problem.

Here is a floor plan of the room I did from measurements.  The areas in red indicate doors.  The areas in green indicate windows.  The light blue is the bathroom, and the dark blue is the fireplace.

HiFi%2520Room.jpg

Any ideas on where to start with room treatment in such a large room?  Please provide me with your comments!

Forgot to add - the roof is a pitched tile roof, so the possibility of a huge IB using high efficiency drivers is on the cards!

Thanks,
Ian.

Latest posts