Monitor Audio stand mount 'tweek'

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiologist

Reaction score
I recently had another proper listen to my Monitor Audio Bronze B2's - the first edition without the 'smooth' woofer. I say 'proper' as they are connected to my Cambridge Audio AV amp, and normaly only used to listen to the wireless stations. This amp has a pre-out, and re-connected to a separate power amp to drive the B2's properly. I listened to a few tracks from the Santana Amigos album that was in the CD player at the time, an early 70's release. I found the B2's sounding 'closed in' - and simply boring. They are mounted on dedicated, good quality spiked stands, 1100 mm from the rear wall in a 6 by 6 meter furnished room.
Anyone who had heard these speakers or read about them will know they are jolly good at playing music.
I was baffled (ha ha, excuse the pun)
...and then I did this....I turned them upside down, woofer on top, tweeter at the bottom, with a 22mm overhang off the base of the stand. The rear port was now puffing into a clean space above any other hi fidelity components. The tweeter was now firing at me at mouth level.
The sound opened up, the bass which i thought would suffer was still extended but a touch tighter and the mids sang. I was simply amazed at what i heard. I am now going to plug them into one of my dedicated stereo front ends, using a Halcro powwer amp to drive them and see (listen) what happens.

Latest posts