Monitor Acoustic Floorstander Tweeter Replacement Advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crafter

Reaction score
I have been helping my folks get their stereo setup back up to scratch for them to get back into enjoying their large collection of music. They also use the setup for watching Netflix etc..

In order to do so I bought a fantastic Yamaha RX-V2092 from Mike (fdlsys) at the end of last year to replace their crappy cheap Sony receiver. I only got to connecting up the Yamaha this weekend and found that the one floorstanders tweeter is totally toast. The floorstanders are locally (PMB) made Monitor Acoustics model MA-4000 from the 90's with two 8inch woofers and a 1inch tweeter (see attached pics). They have been mentioned in the past on the forum by a few members and do sound decent.

When switching the balance from left to right it is markedly clear that the right speaker tweeter sounded muffled and when higher frequencies are played a rasping shrill hissing version of the frequency is played. It also does this with the Sony so not an amp issue at all.

Although I am a novice, this to me is because the volume on the low output Sony (60w) has been cranked up and due to clipping blew the tweeter. Does this sound right?

I would really appreciate advice on where to source a replacement set of tweeters. I opened up both speakers to check their make knowing that many years ago they had sent a single speaker in to a local HiFi repair shop for a tweeter replacement (which speaker it was I do not know).

The blown tweeter is a 1 inch Voxium PT25J (8ohm 120w). I have a feeling that this was the replaced tweeter which looks like a cheapie (maybe I am wrong). The magnet on the functioning tweeter was so corroded (white residue) from the Durban humidity that I could not get any info from it.

What tweeter set of decent quality would you advise I buy that will compliment the speakers size and rating (8ohm 180w) and where would I be able to buy them from?

BTW my folks are super excited after hearing the massive difference that fdlsys's amp has made. Thanks Mike!

Latest posts