**Wiring two PIEZO HORN TWEETERS 7″ x 3″ to a Technics SU-Z65 Amp**

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David12

Reaction score
Hi all

I bought two PIEZO HORN TWEETERS 7″ x 3″ for the express purpose of “training” my neighbours Terrier and prevent it from incessant high pitch nuisance barking ….

PIEZO HORN TWEETERS 7″ x 3″ Product Description

Suitable for high power PA speaker systems. Flush edge for surface mounting.

Excellent transient response and low distortion.

Power max.: 150W
Frequency response: 1.8kHz – 30kHz
SPL @ 1W/1m: 96dB
Dimensions: 188 x 80 x 107mm
Impedance : 1kHz: 830 ohms
Cutout: 160 x 55mm

I wish to connect to a Technics SU-Z65 Amp to drive just the two piezo tweeters only:

Technics SU-Z65 Specifications: Power output: 50 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo) Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Total harmonic distortion: 0.007% Damping factor: 40 Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line) Signal to noise ratio: 75dB (MM), 86dB (line) Channel separation: 50dB (line) Output: 150mV (line) Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω

I would be most grateful if anyone could advise how I can connect the wiring to the two speaker channels Left and Right, I was worried in my research when I read articles and saw video clips warning of limitations: including that one must use resistors and capacitors to prevent spike back and amp damage, and also:

I have tried inexpensive piezo tweeters and found them a mere annoyance. Piezo tweeters are driven by thin films which cannot dissipate much power at all. The film will get hot and become depolarized, reducing output. If the tweeter breaks down each cycle, it will emit audible sound. So even pulsed power will not work. Voice coil tweeters should be capable of being driven to high power levels as there is no electrical breakdown. The failure mode for pulsed power is the tweeter will shake apart.

Can I bridge my amp and drive just the TWEETERS in this manner – please see three diagrams I have done to assist any input you could provide (not listed in any order in particular):

Option 1 - As most amps have common gnd just connect the + left and right speaker lines to each Tweeter

Option 2 - Connect each + and – jointly

Option 3 - Bridge the – to be sure there is a bridge and jointly connect the + to get double output – this may need a resistor for spike back

Option 4 - Or just connect each Tweeter to each channel, one to left and one to the right ( no diagram attached)

NB I am an animal lover and this would only be used intermittently with recordings that are recorded on both channels / mono and above Human audible range 17 000 Hz and above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Regards

David

Attachments

• Tweeter wiring layout 1.jpg
    Tweeter wiring layout 1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Tweeter wiring layout 2.jpg
    Tweeter wiring layout 2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Tweeter wiring layout 3.jpg
    Tweeter wiring layout 3.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0