Hi! New member and I would really appreciate some advice! [Wharfdale Opus 2-2's]

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solohippo

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm quite relieved I found this forum, because I'm all kinds of confused. Basically I have a pair of Wharfdale Opus 2-2's (Piano black finish). I don't even know how I ended up with them- I think it was through a deceased estate that my father bought a bunch of things from and he never wanted them.
I've found a couple posts regarding these speakers here, but mostly for sales. There really isn't much out there that I could read up on them, so here I am!

I would like to know what sort of amplifier set-up I'm going to need to drive these guys. I went to a specialty AV Store near where I live in Johannesburg.
Maybe I looked like I was rich or something (spoiler alert- I'm not), but the guy I was speaking to recommended Rotel RA-1592 Stereo Integrated Amplifier, citing that it had the kind of power needed to drive these speakers with a bit of headroom for safety's sake. He also recommended a pre + power amplifier setup (details of which, I can't remember), but both options were over R60k!
He was nice enough to offer to come out to my house with an amplifier to determine what kind of condition they're in. Looks wise, they are in good condition, they haven't been used in probably 5+ years, no scratches, but the grills are missing.

So do I really need to drop that much to get these speakers going?
And if not, what sort of budget would be reasonable?

I'm not an audiophile, by any means, but I do know when I'm listening to a good audio set up.

I'm thinking, either I can get some good advice and get these speakers going without selling a kidney, or I sell them and use the funds to start this hobby a bit more modestly.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!