Hi fi happiness: Pioneer A400x

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christowp

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi folks

Thanks to Robert E lee for asisting with manual location: forums are a great help most of the time.

Just thought I'd share one of those happy episodes in our hobby: hi fi and music. Took some time off this morning to take my son to buy a pair of takkies. Just wondered over into cash Crusaderrs and saw a pretty tatty looking Pioneer A400x amplifier on the shelf. I had some idea it was not a bad piece of equipment as I had read about it a good few years ago. Got it at what I condidered to be a reasonable price. Light clean up job and it looked good as new. Hooked it up this evening to Technics SB-C 250 two way speakers with honeycomb woofer, a Rotel RCD951 and VD Hul the first interconnect, normal flex for speaker cable. After some initial speaker movement and a warm up period for amplifier I started smiling. It just got better and better. Nice warm punchy sound, good soundstage and imaging and really enjoyable musical presentation. Mid range a bit edgy here and there on female vocal but otherwise a really pleasing musical presentation. Good solid bass, nice tops and vocals really nicely in balance. Played all types of music from jazz to classical and al sounded really smooth and good. The amplifier also has a phono stage for both MM and MC - will try that tomorrow.

What is really good is that all the equipment I am using are second string stuff I do not normally use and bought for very reasonable prices including Pioneer A400 just bought today. This amp is sounding so good with the stuff mentioned above I think I am going to have it hooked up for a while yet. Just pure luck to get this synergy: hi fi dealers used to try combinations like this and came up with really good stuff eg NAD 3020, AR18 and Dual cs 505 turntable of the early 80's.   

Thought I'd share this bit of joy I am experiencing with some ordinary stuff. Been playing CD's I forgot I had on my collection. I also like the idea of an integrated amp: so convenient in one box,I normally use separate pre and power amps. Time for bed I think - funny old hobby this, but very satisfying at times, like this episode.

Latest posts